intro to injections: 8 FAQs about dermal fillers
Are you on the fence about getting fillers and need more info? This post is for you. Filler is one of our most popular treatments at kd.
Welcome to our Intro to Injections series, where we will be covering everything you need to know about cosmetic injections.
First thing’s first, what are dermal fillers and what do they do? Dermal fillers usually come in a gel form and can be injected into different areas of the body. They are used to restore volume loss, soften lines, provide lift, as well as enhance contours. Dermal fillers are a great way to reverse signs of aging, correct and promote facial symmetry and enhance facial features without the need for plastic surgery. Fillers are uniquely formulated to have a specific texture, thickness, flexibility and injection depth, meaning that certain fillers work better for certain areas of concern. Your provider will perform a thorough facial analysis and will discuss your areas of concern, then together you’ll choose a dermal filler that will yield the best results for you.
Where can you inject dermal fillers? We’re so glad you asked! Some of the most common areas treated are:
- Cheeks: filler is placed along the cheekbone to restore volume, providing you with contour and lift. Cheek filler also adds support to the area under your eyes, minimizing the appearance of tired, hollow eyes.
- Lips & Mouth: injecting filler in the areas around your mouth can minimize laugh lines, and it’s a great way to add volume to your lips, giving you the perfect pout!
- Under eyes: tear trough filler restores volume to hollow, tired eyes. Once volume is restored to the delicate area, fine lines and dark circles are minimized.
- Chin and Jawline: for a stunning profile, both men & women need to make sure their chin and jawline are on point. We can sharpen the jawline, help reduce jowling, and elongate the chin with filler.
Naturally, our faces aren’t perfectly symmetrical. We are exposed to factors that can affect each side differently, i.e. the side we sleep on most often can have less volume, and if we spend a lot of our time in the car, either as the driver or passenger, the side of your face that gets the most sun exposure can have less volume and more hyperpigmentation. Filler is a great option to inject in areas of your face to correct asymmetry. We will work with you to target those areas of concern and correct them.
What should I expect during treatment? We will begin with a consultation to review your concerns and determine the areas you would like to target. We will provide you with our professional opinion and work with you to devise a plan of treatment - how much filler is needed and where it will be injected. We will then clean the area we plan to treat and begin injecting! The duration of your in-office treatment is typically around one hour; however, this is dependent on which areas you have treated.
How quickly will I see results? Most results from dermal fillers are immediate!
How long does filler last? This is dependent on the type of filler used and how your body metabolizes the filler. An approximate range for the life of fillers is 6-18 months.
What does the recovery time look like? Downtime after dermal fillers is usually minimal. Expect bruising around the injection area, as well as swelling and temporary soreness. Side effects vary from patient to patient based on the individual’s healing time and the area being treated. We will discuss all aspects of your treatment and expectations during your appointment as well.
Are there any post-treatment instructions? Yes! We send a post-treatment instruction email following your appointment. These instructions vary based on the area treated, but some general rules of thumb are:
- If there is bruising immediately after your treatment, it is best to avoid NSAIDS and alcohol for 24 hrs after your treatment. For pain, acetaminophen is the best choice within the first 12-24 hours.
- Try not to wear makeup until the day after your treatment
- Avoid treatments like a massage or facial for at least 48 hours after receiving facial filler.
- Avoid the use of Retin-A and other similar topicals for two days after your treatment
- Avoid vigorous exercise, sun and heat exposure for a couple of days after treatment
Have more questions or want to get personal recommendations from one of our providers? Book your treatment ASAP! Click here to book a complimentary virtual or in-person consultation, or schedule your preferred treatment!