5 benefits of wearing spf every single day
We’ve all had the importance of wearing sunscreen etched in our brains at some point in our lives, whether that be childhood or early adulthood. And now, thanks to technology, a ton of research and the skincare gods, we are being told to wear spf every single day. Why should you add this additional step to your skincare routine? We’re here to breakdown five key benefits of applying spf every single day. And yes, even in the winter! And also yes, even when you’re indoors.
- We’ll start with the most obvious benefit, wearing SPF daily prevents skin cancer. UV radiation is the number one risk factor of the three most common types of skin cancer. Consistent use of SPF and adequate protection is the best way to lower your risk.
- Wearing SPF everyday prevents signs of aging. UV exposure is responsible for 90% of signs of aging. Sun exposure and other environmental factors cause premature breakdown of collagen and the elasticity of your skin-- two things that break down as we age anyways, but added sun exposure speeds up the process and increases the signs of aging. Read more about our anti-aging a-team of products here! (will link a-team blog post)
- Wearing SPF everyday reduces your risk of hyperpigmentation. Hyperpigmentation happens for many reasons, but sun exposure is one of the main causes. Hyperpigmentation occurs when the skin experiences changes in the production of melanin, causing dark patches to appear on your skin. Since SPF shields your skin from the sun, it’s one of the best ways to prevent and protect your skin from the risk of hyperpigmentation.
- Wearing SPF everyday prevents skin inflammation and sun-sensitivity. There are many skin or health conditions that can cause you to be sensitive to sun exposure, meaning you are more likely to develop sunburns, rashes, or skin irritations. Rosacea is a common skin condition where skin inflammation can be triggered by the sun. If you are using retinoids, acids or other active ingredients in your skincare routine, SPF is a must as these products make your skin more sensitive to the sun than it would be otherwise.
- SPF in your foundation isn’t cutting it. There are two reasons for this-- first, we typically don’t apply the amount of foundation that would be needed to protect our entire face. Plus some of the product and SPF is absorbed by our brushes, sponges or the application tools we use to apply the foundation. Secondly, our foundation doesn’t stay put all day long and depending on your skin type, can be absorbed by our skin or can slide off of our skin, making those parts of our face vulnerable to sun exposure. However, we do love a foundation that includes SPF and it will definitely add protection to your face, it just can’t do the work on its own!
The benefits of wearing SPF everyday are endless, and SPF is the best preventative skincare product you could ever invest in when it comes to aging, dark spots and skin inflammation. SPF should be the last step in your morning skincare routine, after moisturizer, and allow it to sit for at least 15-30 minutes before applying makeup so that it can fully absorb in your skin.
At kd, we take SPF SO seriously because we know the preventative power and benefits it has for our skin. We take it so seriously, that we have two phenomenal SPF options in our skincare line.
If you want a dewy, glowy tinted SPF…
Meet eternal summer. Our newest product and spf option, eternal summer provides a stunning universal tint that will give you light coverage and an instant summer glow. It’s fabulous enough to break up with your foundation, or wear as your bb cream and layer foundation over it. With spf 46 AND hyaluronic acid, your skin will be protected, plump and hydrated.
If you want a sheer, protective, multi-tasker…
Say hello to a crowd favorite at kd’s, clean + sheer. As one of the original products in our skincare line, clean + sheer provides spf 50 protection without a tint or white cast, and is a must-have! Containing niacinamide, lactic acid and hyaluronic acid, this is WAY more than an SPF and will help you achieve supple, hydrated and even skin.We know you want a sunkissed glow this summer, but don’t let that stop you from lathering up SPF on your face! Try our stay golden sunless tanner to add some glow without the harmful UV rays.